Monday, September 26, 2011

The ones who used to sit


They came looking for 
me last night while 
I was traveling,
the ones who used to 
sit in my living space and 
breathe the same air as me
I saw them in familiar stations 
reading books under dim lamps
and cranking 
ice-cream on scarred linoleum
They sat in desaturated colors
on two long couches, speaking
in simple, unforced, conversation.
I don’t remember anything they said,
but they would smile when they spoke, 
even though they never 
looked up from what 
they were doing, busy.

5 comments:

  1. Yes. The Souls of Old commune without words and across continents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem. Even if it did make me sad, a little. Or, I guess nostalgic is more like it.

    P.S. I especially like the last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Distance and life have no power over us. The apocalypse is coming...

    ReplyDelete